The benefit of a hand rake is that it can be used as a multi-purpose tool. There are many different ways to use a hand rake in the garden, and we will discuss them here. A hand rake can help prepare your soil for planting by loosening up dirt and working out small clumps. You can also use it to remove weeds from between paving stones or simply to aerate your lawn by raking back and forth over an area with the teeth facing upwards.
How to Set Up A Worm Farm
Worm farms make some of the best natural fertiliser for your garden, and they’re really easy to set up and take care of.
All you need to get started is your worm farm, a coir brick, lime, and your tiger worms.
Worms love most fruit and veggies, old coffee grounds and tea leaves, crushed egg shells, paper products like newspaper or shredded paper towels, and surprisingly, hair clippings and dust from the vacuum.
They’re not keen on citrus, tomatoes, and onions, dairy products, greasy foods, bread and pasta, fish and meat, and garden waste.
Now I’m using a really nice, simple, two-tier worm farm.
In the top here is where the worms and all my food scraps are going to go.
Then we’ve got a plastic grate, which is going to basically let all the castings and worm tea fall through into the bottom place where I can harvest it later.
So first step, you going to get your coir brick, put it in a bucket, and you’re going to add around 4 liters of water.
And then in half an hour, it’s basically tripled in size.
Once you’re happy with that, it’s going to go into the first level of our worm farm.
Just spread this around so it’s nice and even.
We’re aiming for roughly 2 centimeters over the whole thing.
So this coir brick is a really good neutral material to put in at the start.
Don’t put any compost or fertiliser or anything like that in there.
The worms don’t like it.
Now it’s time to get the worms into our farm.
Now it seems a little bit funny that they come in a cardboard box.
But they’re quite happy to go into their new home.
Just do this a little bit at a time and spread them around.
Just do a nice, even layer over the base.
If you tip them out they look a little bit dormant, don’t worry about it.
They will come to in a couple of days.
So these little guys are actually tiger worms.
They’re not just your everyday worm that you find in the garden.
Really good at breaking down your organic material and food scraps that you put in there.
Important to not feed them straight away.
Just give them a couple of days to adjust to their new home.
When it comes to feeding your worms, it’s going to take a couple of weeks until they get to full capacity.
So you want to start off slow.
Just feed them a little bit at a time, and don’t give them any more until they’ve pretty much finished what you’ve started putting in.
My box had around 1,000 worms at 250 grams, so I’ll start them off with around a cup of food a day.
And chop it up to help them get through it faster.
Just increase the amount with their appetite.
After three to six months, harvest your worm castings from the bottom layer of your farm, which are a mix of soil and food scraps that have passed through your worms.
You can apply this straight to the garden.
Just mix into the soil at the base of the plant.
Or just a tablespoon will feed a potted plant for a couple of months.
Worm tea, which is the liquid fertilizer, comes out of the tap and needs to be diluted with 1 part tea to 10 parts water before applying.
Your garden will love it.
Worms like a constant temperature, out of direct sun.
In winter, use a worm blanket or move them into the shed.
Once established, feed your worms daily or give them a big feed if you’re going on holiday.
They should be fine for up to a month.
Worms self-regulate their population, so no need to get rid of any.
But make sure you start with 1,000 to 2,000 to get the full benefits.
Keep your farm damp, and water around a litre a week.
But if it gets too wet, shredded newspaper is good for absorbing excess moisture.
Add dolomite lime every couple of weeks to keep the pH level neutral.
If your worms look small and white, the soil might be too acidic.
Cover food scraps with a damp tea towel to keep fruit flies away.
And finally, your farm should smell earthy.
If it smells bad, lay off adding any food until it comes right.
So look after your worms and they’ll provide you with good fertiliser for ages.
Tip To Milk a Goat
Goat milk is delicious and nutritious. It likewise a well known wellspring of refreshment on account of it’s special smooth taste and dietary benefit. What’s more, the interest and devouring pace of goat milk is expanding step by step. Numerous individuals are raising their own dairy goats to satisfy their every day family nourishment and sustenance request. Dairy goat cultivating is additionally an incredible wellspring of crisp milk supply. On the off chance that you need to build up dairy goat cultivating business, at that point it will be advantageous for you learning insights regarding how to drain a goat.
Step by step instructions to Milk A Goat
On the off chance that you are new in draining goats, you can become familiar with the way toward draining goats legitimately from a dairy goat maker. Since reasonable encounters are useful than scholarly information. Furthermore, nothing can bit your reasonable learning. Be that as it may, learn bit by bit draining procedure of a goat.
- Above all else keep your goat on a level surface or on a milk stand (stanchion).
- You can prepare your goat splendidly with the goal that you can get your goat to jump onto the remain independent from anyone else. This procedure is exceptionally simple and straightforward. Do a similar procedure for a few days. At that point she will consequently learn it independent from anyone else.
- Continuously milk and feed your goats simultaneously. By doing this procedure they will realize when their nourishing and draining time show up and they will be fit to be drained. Consistency is significant for draining the goat every day.
- Select a quiet and calm spot for draining your goats. Since in such a quiet and very spot your goat will be increasingly loose and quiet during draining without interruption. This will make your draining procedure simple and straightforward.
- It will be better on the off chance that you can assemble a committed milk space for your goats. In any case, it isn’t fundamental for the novices.
- During draining attempt to utilize a treated steel bucket and strainer. Since steel bucket and strainer harbor less microorganisms than plastic or other material.
- Before draining, consistently wipe down the udder to make the goat clean. You can buy udder wipes that is accessible in the market. Udder wipes likewise help to eliminate microorganisms.
- During draining dispose of initial couple of presses of milk. Since this milk can contain microorganisms.
- For draining a goat, just put both of your thumb and index finger around their nipple, straight facing the udder. After that crush solidly (never scarcely). This is a significant piece of draining procedure, since it will shield the milk from streaming once again into the udder. After that crush your pinky, ring and center finger together against the nipple. Do it successively start to finish in a fast development. You will realize you have it right when a full stream of milk shoots out with each press. During draining it is significant that you don’t draw down on the nipple however unite your free fingers each in turn from the top to the base of your hand as you press. Continuously discharge your fingers to give milk a chance to fill the nipple again and rehash a similar procedure.
- Draining two nipples simultaneously is substantially more productive and when you get the hang of it you will set up your very own musicality, doing one nipple first and after that the other. Continue crushing until the udder is for the most part drained.
- From that point forward, expel the bucket from goat and wipe her udder.
A few goats are simpler to milk than others
Youthful goats that are new to being drained can be all the more testing to drain, Holloway stated, in light of the fact that the procedure is different to them and their udders can be particularly touchy. Likewise, a few goats — youthful or old — worthy motivation all the more an object about draining.
“Here and there they simply need to hop around and kick the basin,” Holloway said. “I had two or three does [a female goat] that, their entire life, I needed to utilize totters.”
Totters are delicate ties that associate the goat’s back legs, which keeps them from lifting one foot to kick or step in the milk bucket or stomp on a milking machine.
What’s more, a few goats are increasingly hard to drain as a result of their life structures. Goat nipples change fairly fit as a fiddle and size, Shepard clarified, and the measure of milk every goat produces can shift drastically.
“Becoming acquainted with your goats is a major piece of it,” Hall said. “Some prefer to be drained each side in turn, and some like you to get go truly quick and don’t stop. [It’s significant to] really take a gander at the size of the goat’s nipples and what they like and what irritates them.”
Consider a milking machine
While numerous ranchers incline toward draining their goats by hand, some utilization a draining machine for an assortment of reasons.
The choice might be affected by the size of your group, said Holloway. Hand draining a couple of goats can be effectively and fast, however it tends to be an overwhelming errand for proprietors of bigger crowds. Best goat milking machines enable you to drain at least two goats on the double.
Draining machines are additionally a decent choice for individuals who experience difficulty utilizing their hands, for example, individuals with joint inflammation and carpal passage disorder. Furthermore, draining machines can help keep milk from being debased.
Draining machines fluctuate from a straightforward hand siphon that milks each creature in turn to an electric siphon that can drain at least two goats immediately.
To change her goats from being drained by hand to being drained by a machine, Holloway turned on the machine while draining them by hand, at that point facilitated them onto the machine after some time.
During the initial couple of presses watch the shade of the milk. On the off chance that you found any pink or red shading in this milk, at that point don’t drain the goat any longer. Since it is an indication that your goat may have mastitis ailment.
So now what do you think? Would you be able to do the procedure? Trust me it is extremely simple and straightforward. Draining a goat is additionally engaging and you can appreciate it. Attempt to drain your goat by your own. Since they like to be drained by a similar individual day by day. In the event that you are new in dairy goat cultivating business, you can basically figure out how to drain a goat from your closest dairy goat maker.
Anyone Can Farm
No matter where you live, no matter your circumstances, you can farm. You can grow something, produce a crop, and enjoy the benefits of doing so.
Whether small, or large, indoors, or out, a farm can be anything that produces a result from a living thing (other than people). So if you want to farm so bad you can’t stand it, and you live in an apartment, a covenant community, an impossibly small home, or whatever, there is still something you can grow, and enjoy.
The following things can be done to produce either edible or salable crops.
- Container Gardening – on a balcony, in the house, on the porch or steps, in a vertical planter by the door, etc.
- Sprouts – grow a crop of sprouts or microgreens on your kitchen countertop, or on top of the fridge (a naturally warm place).
- Micro-livestock – As large as rabbits or bantam chickens in cages, hutches, or coops out back (or even contained indoors), or as small as insects indoors. Yeah, I know, I don’t think I’d grow insects to eat, but they are a valuable cash crop if you sell larvae, eggs, cocoons, etc.
- Mushrooms – a box or bin of mushrooms does not take up much room but provides a lot of satisfaction to harvest.
- Mini Milk Goats – Ok, so I don’t think I’d be comfortable with them in my apartment (they don’t take well to diapers and goats pee a lot), but there are people who do it. They fit in small spaces outside though, and this is the real message here.
- Edible Landscaping – grow edible crops where over-zealous regulations have encroached on personal liberty. Replace trees, shrubs, flowers, and grasses with edible crops instead. Remember, there are many flowers that are edible also!
- Houseplants – yeah, they count, if you can produce them for sale or enough to share. Medicinals are an option where edibles don’t work well indoors, or any other type of plant that people enjoy. Some houseplants naturally produce more plants – aloe, pregnant plant, spider plant, and others that grow by root division, or which can be easily rooted. They can be tended for most of the year and allowed to produce more plants in the same container, and then divided and expanded into smaller pots in the spring in time for the Farmer’s Markets, so you only have to accommodate extra pots for a short time.
- Yeasts, molds, bacteria – There are types of yeasts and molds that will grow indoors. Some can be grown through lactofermentation processes, some through other culturing processes. It is a life-form. You are growing it. You are farming.
If you want to farm, then do it! No matter your circumstances, there is SOMETHING you can grow to put more food on your table, or to sell to the world and encourage them to do the same.
All it takes is a corner of a room, a countertop, or a space on a shelf or windowsill, perhaps a spot on the back porch, or a bit of yard or garden.
Don’t wait! Get growing!